Jenn's Episodes

Monday, October 23, 2006

Football, Faith, Friends, Family...

Ever noticed that lots of important things start with the 6th letter in the alphabet - F?

F #1 - Football

What a fantastic weekend of football - between my beloved Aggies and the ever-struggling, yet promising (with another win this week...) Cougars, my Saturday was jam packed with the sport of all sports, college football BABY! I have to brag about my dear brother for a moment - I received a phone call late Saturday night from a very excited (and exhausted) newbie Texas Aggie bragging about his first big road trip to the OSU vs. Aggie game on Saturday. Seems he and a mass of his friends had the weekend of a college freshman's lifetime in the thriving metropolis of Stillwater, Oklahoma where they were witness to the phenomenal win over an OSU team they should have beat the pants off of...but - we won, and the "W" is all that matters. So, props to my baby bro and his friend Jayce for making it to the great state of Oklahoma to "yell" our Aggies on to victory!

On a less exciting note, NFL was a disaster all around for me this weekend...the Steelers tried to give Marc and I both a heart attack, flip-flopping the lead no less than 5 times, finally ending the game in a big, fat "L" - at least I got a nice, juicy cheeseburger from tailgaters during half time that made the loss a little more bareable. And as for my Cowboys, I'm not sure they remember that they wear blue uniforms with stars on their helmets - I didn't see much but the last few minutes of the 4th was enough to convince me I was happy I didn't waste my time...maybe next week we'll throw the football to our team members instead of those on the opposing team - just a thought...a suggestion...Cowboys, I love you but you stunk it up tonight...time to ship up or shape out peeps. T.O. seems to be only one of many worries...

F #2 - Faith

This weekend in RCIA we learned about the history of the Catholic church - the 2000 year and counting history of the Catholic church... In an hour and a half. Talk about information overload - but it was all so SO so interesting. A nun named Sister Madeline Grace (Girls - I really like this name...hands off - and I think you know what I mean...) enlightened us on the development of the Catholic Church over the years and the creation of so many other denominations of religion that I have had questions about for years. Why are their Lutherans and Baptist and Methodists and Catholics and Pentecosts and...uh, the list goes on and on but I think you get my point. The coolest part of it all was learning about my Baptist past, and hearing from a Catholic nun how similar our religious pasts are. And - how so many different denominations have spider webbed from one - all sharing the same common belief with minor differences here and there. Don't get hung up on the small stuff here - all is still right with Catholics and Baptists - I'm just lucky to have both educations...I really feel like it's making me a fuller, more devoted Christian... A Christian more at peace now with my beliefs than I have been as of yet in my life! How cool is that!?

F #3 - Friends

On a more serious note - just for a minute - I have a lot of friends going through a lot of stuff right now. I'm worried about them all - think of them often and pray for them as much as I possibly can... Between the cancer that is racing through my friends lives (and bodies) and the injuries and wrecks and ear infections and dislocated backs and oh, the list goes on and on... I am just - humbled. I am so lucky to have so many people around me that love me for who I am - that I know I could call on at any time and place - I just hope all of you out there know that I am here for whatever you need, whenever you need it...I am so thankful for each of you and am hoping things start looking up for each of you real soon. I read this quote and thought it was beautiful - a friend is one who strengthens you with prayers, blesses you with love and encourages you with hope - maybe remember this quote from day to day this week and say a quick prayer of thanks for all the wonderful parts and people in each of our lives...we are each so blessed in our own ways, take time to be thankful this week.


F #4 - Family

Most importantly in times like these, while enjoying a weekend of football, learning more about my faith and remembering to be thankful for my friends - I am reminded how lucky I am to have my family. A mom and dad that are so supportive and loving, a baby brother that makes me so proud sometimes that I just can't stop smiling and a fiance who is going to be the most amazing husband that I could have ever imagined...actually, I couldn't have imagined him - he's more perfect than I could have ever thought up for myself...

I am so lucky. And thankful. And happy.

Keep your F's in mind this week - they are the life and love and heart of YOU!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home